Tomato Risotto with Cheese
How to Prepare
- 1.5 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano, shredded
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Vito & Joe’s Olive Oil
- In a pan over low heat, add 4 tbsp. olive oil and onions. Cook until onions are translucent and soft.
- While onions are softening, add water to a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add tomato paste. Stir with a ladle and bring to a simmer.
- Once onions have softened a bit, add grated garlic.
- Once tomato water is simmering, turn the heat down to low.
- Add 3 tbsp. of butter, 1/4 tsp. of salt, and 1/2 tsp. of pepper to the onions and garlic.
- Add rice to onion mixture and toast for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix to coat in oil and spread evenly in the pan. Once it starts crackling, continue stirring.
- Add wine to rice and onions. Continue stirring until wine is mostly absorbed.
- Add diced tomatoes to the mixture and continue stirring. Cook down until tomatoes become soft and tender and liquid dries up.
- Add 2 cups of tomato stock to rice mixture and continue stirring, until there’s no more loose liquid when you stir. Continue adding until no more stock is left.
- Turn the heat off and add 3 tbsp. of butter. Add Parmesan and Pecorino Romano cheese and mix until melted.
- Transfer to serving bowl and top with chopped basil and shredded Parmesan.