Crispy Onion Rings
How to Prepare
Spanish golden onions (3)
Salt (to taste)
Garlic powder (½ tsp.)
Chicken stock (½ cup)
Egg (1 – large)
Cornmeal (1 cup)
Baking powder (1 tbsp.)
Paprika (½ tsp.)
Thyme (½ tsp.)
Bread crumbs (2 cups – non-flavored)
Flour (¾ cup – non-enriched, non- bleached)
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sunflower or peanut oil (for frying)
Parmesan cheese (¾ cup – grated)
- Remove the top and bottom from the onion. Remove the peel being careful to keep the onions in ring-form.
- Slice the onions into ¼ inch slices.
- Put the onions in a bowl and separate slices into individual rings.
- In a separate bowl, begin preparing your batter.
- Whisk eggs, add chicken stock, flour, baking powder, a splash of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a splash of Grappa or wine, salt and pepper to taste
- Can substitute Grappa or wine for club soda if you prefer non-alcoholic)
- In a separate bowl, mix your breadcrumbs, cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, thyme, grated parmesan cheese, paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a pot with you sunflower or peanut oil and bring to 350 degrees.
- Coat your onion rings first in the batter and then the breadcrumbs.
- Be careful to use separate forks for each layer.
- Put onion rings in the pre-heated oil until browned. a. Only do 4 -5 onion rings at a time to ensure consistent oil temperature and browning consistency.
- Remove onion rings to cookie sheets when browned.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste when finished. Enjoy!