Homemade Ricotta Cheese
How to Prepare
Milk (1 gallon – raw milk preferred, not ultra pasteurized)
Heavy cream (1 qt.)
Lemon juice (½ cup – juice of 3 fresh lemons)
Nutmeg (½ tsp.)
Salt (1 tsp.)
- In a large pot, add milk and cream. a. Turn heat to medium.
- Warm the milk and cream for 10 – 15 minutes or until the temperature reaches 190 – 200 degrees and just begins to boil.
- Add salt and nutmeg. Stir.
- Turn off heat and continue to stir. Remove from the heat, then add lemon juice.
- Continue stirring for 5 – 7 minutes. a. Set aside for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Place a mesh colander over a large bowl, cover the colander with a cheesecloth.
- Slowly ladle cheese and why the mixture into the mesh colander to strain.
- Once all the cheese and whey mixture has been strained, knot the ends of the cheesecloth and twist to completely remove moisture from the ricotta cheese.
- You can remove and leave as much moisture as you desire depending on what recipe you are using the ricotta cheese for. Enjoy!