How to Prepare
Water (2 cups – warm)
Yeast (1 ½ tsp.)
Salt (2 tsp.)
Honey (1 ½ tsp.)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil (3 tbsp.)
Flour (3 ½ cups)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- No more than 500 degrees.
- Place a large Dutch oven with the lid in the oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, add flour and salt. Mix together.
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast, water and honey.
- Set aside for 3 – 5 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
- Make a well in the flour and salt mixture. Add the water and the yeast mixture to the middle of the well.
- Slowly stir to fully incorporate all ingredients.
- Slowly drizzle in Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil and continue stirring.
- Using a wooden spoon, stretch the dough back and forth in the bowl for a couple of minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put in a warm area to proof for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- For a tangier bread: at least 3 hours or more preferably over night.
- After a few hours, carefully remove the dough from the bowl with a floured spatula.
- Be careful not to break the dough!
- Scrape from the edges of the bowl very gently.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Carefully pull edges of dough to the bottom to stretch the gluten and form a base for the bread.
- Line a bowl with parchment paper and place the bread into the bowl.
- Cover the bread with a warm, wet towel in the bowl for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and line with parchment paper.
- Transfer the bread from the bowl to the Dutch oven using the parchment paper to maneuver.
- Gently slice a line or 2 on top of the dough.
- Cover the dough back up and place it in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper and place the bread back in the oven for about 10 more minutes uncovered.
- After the bread has been removed from the oven, gently slice the bread after it has cooled about 15 minutes.
- For some added flavor, spread some mascarpone cheese on top with some orange marmalade. Enjoy!