How to Prepare
Mushrooms (cremini) (1 ½ lbs.)
Pancetta (4 oz.)
Bread crumbs (plain Italian) (1 cup)
Garlic (2 cloves)
Gorgonzola cheese (1/3 cup)
Butter (2 tbsp.)
Parmesan cheese (1/3 cup)
Thyme (½ tsp.)
Romano cheese (1/3 cup)
Pink Himalayan salt
Onion (medium) (½ – chopped)
Nutmeg (¼ tsp.)
Parsley (handful) (to garnish)
Freshly ground black pepper
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a cast-iron pan, drizzle about 2 tablespoons of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil and heat it up to medium-high.
- Add the chopped onions into the heated pan to cook. Stir until coated in the oil.
- . Destem the mushrooms.
- Create a nice pocket where the stem used to be when destemming.
- Save the stems in a separate bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the mushrooms onto the sheet; evenly spaced out.
- Once the onions are browning, add in the pancetta, garlic, mushroom stems, butter, thyme, fresh ground pepper (1 teaspoon) and a half teaspoon of salt. Stir.
- Cover for 3 -4 minutes and then stir again.
- Cook down until the mushrooms get nice and soft.
- Add in the nutmeg when the mushrooms are almost soft and done cooking.
- Cover the mixture, remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- In a food processor, add in the parmesan and Romano cheeses, almost all of the parsley and breadcrumbs, and spoon in the pancetta mushroom mixture.
- Leave the liquid at the bottom of the pan for later.
- Pulse the ingredients for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Add the gorgonzola cheese to the stuffing mixture and mix.
- Using the leftover liquid in the cast-iron pan, add the remaining breadcrumbs (about 2 tablespoons) and mix it to create a paste
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the mushrooms on the baking sheet
- Using a scooper, pack the stuffing into the pocket of the mushroom.
- Packing can go outside of the pocket a little too! The more stuffing the better!
- Take some of the crumb paste on top of the stuffed mushrooms.
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms for 15 – 20 minutes until the mushroom is soft.
- Check every 7 minutes to make sure the mushroom is softening.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, take the parsley and chop it up to garnish the top of the mushrooms once finished.
- Garnish the top of the mushrooms with the parsley and some fresh ground pepper and serve warm. Enjoy!