Tuscan Style Braised Short Ribs
5 lb Beef Short Ribs
2 cup Beef Broth
1 cup Flour
Handful of Baby Arugula
3 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Tomato Paste
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 Sweet Onion
4 cloves of Garlic
1 stalk of Celery
2 Bay Leaves
1 bottle of Barolo Wine
How to Prepare:
- Pat the ribs dry and lightly season both sides of ribs with salt and pepper
- Use a mixing bowl and cover the ribs well in flour, salt and pepper
- Use a cast iron pan on medium heat and use 4-5 tbsp of olive oil on bottom of pan.
- Let heat for 3-4 minutes, then place ribs in pan.
- Let ribs reach caramelization on all sides in pan (about 8 minutes) and add butter.
- Remove the ribs from pan to cool and turn the heat to low in pan.
- Begin preparing the sofrito sauce by grating carrots and celery, chop the thyme and onion, pull herbs off stem and add garlic.
- Add the prepared sofrito ingredients and butter cast iron pan on low heat and stir well.
- Place over over cast iron pan till onions are tender.
- Add entire bottle of barolo wine sofrito mixture and bay leaves, salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Add two cups of beef broth, grated parmesan, rine and tomato paste to mixture then stir well.
- Raise temperature to light boil for the pot of sofrito mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the ribs to pot with cover.
- Place in oven for about two hours and forty-five minutes.
- Remove the ribs from of the pot and set aside on a plate.
- Let the sauce reduce for another ten minutes on medium heat.
- Spread sauce on top of the ribs on your plate and add arugula.