Crémé Brûlée French Toast
How to Prepare
Heavy cream (2 cups)
Egg yolks (10)
Loaf of Ciabatta or Italian bread
Sugar (1/2 cup)
Nutmeg (1/4 tsp.)
Oil (for frying)
Pure vanilla (1 tbsp.)
Toppings of your choice
- Preheat oil in a deep pan to 350 degrees.
- Slice your bread into 1 – 1 1/4 inch slices and lay in a single layer in a 13 x 9 dish.
- Place egg yolks in a mixer and beat on high for 3 -5 minutes until the yolks begin to cream and become frothy.
- Add sugar little by little to the egg yolks while the mixer is on a low speed; followed by the vanilla and nutmeg.
- Mix all ingredients on high for 1 – 3 minutes until all sugar is dissolved and your mixture is creamy.
- Gently fold in heavy cream with whisk or spatula until all the cream is completely mixed in.
- Pour the mixture over your bread in a 13 x 9 dish.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes (this allows the bread to completely soak up the custard mixture) (mixture can sit up in the refrigerator overnight too – if you choose to refrigerate for any period of time, be sure to bring it back to room temperature before you begin frying it).
- Using tongs and being very careful of the hot oil, place 2 -3 slices of your French toast into your preheated pan with oil.
- Fry for 2 – 3 minutes per side until they’re nice and golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and place on a wire rack to let some of the oil drain off from the frying process.
- Serve with your choice of toppings. Enjoy!