Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
How to Prepare
Pastry flour (5 cups)
Milk (1 1/2 cups – warmed)
Sugar (1/2 cup)
Vanilla (1 tsp.)
Unsalted butter (1/2 of stick – melted)
Baking powder (2 tsp.)
Salt (1/2 tsp.)
Dry, active yeast (1 1/2 tsp.)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Brown sugar (1 cup)
Cinnamon (2 tbsp.)
Unsalted butter (1/2 stick – melted)
Nuts (1/2 cup – if desired)
Cream (4 tbsp.)
Butter (1/2 stick – melted)
Powdered sugar (1 1/2 cup)
Vanilla (1/2 tsp.)
Mascarpone cheese (4 oz.)
Nutmeg (just a dash)
- In a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon of sugar to milk.
- Stir until dissolved and the add the yeast; slowly mix together.
- Set aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and the butter.
- Make well in the bowl and slowly add the milk and yeast mixture.
- Slowly mix all of the ingredients together until all the ingredients are wet and a dough is formed.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a flour dusted surface until a nice rough ball is formed.
- Coat a large bowl with a thin layer of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Place the dough in the coated bowl, covered and okace in a warm area for 2 – 3 hours.
- After the 2 – 3 hours, punch down the dough. Replace cover and proof for an additional 20 – 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together
- Add nuts if desired.
- Stir in the butter (setting 1 tbsp. aside)
- Mix we ingredients together.
- Add a dash of nutmeg
- Slowly whisk in your powdered sugar until all the ingredients are completely incorporated into each other and the powdered sugar is completely dissolved.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- When the filling is finished, remove the dough from the bowl and roll out to a large rectangle on a flour dusted surface.
- Brush the dough with the 1 tablespoon of melted butter you set aside while making the filling.
- Spread the filling mixture evenly over the dough.
- Tightly roll the dough into a roll, slice it into 2-inch-thick slices.
- Using parchment paper, line a pan.
- Place the slices into the pan leaving space for the slices to rise and proof further.
- Let proof for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Place in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Brush evenly with frosting. Enjoy!
- Sprinkle nuts if desired.