How to Prepare
Capers (2 tbsp.)
Chicken stock (½ cup)
Lemon (small) (2)
Onion (small) (½ – diced)
Baking soda (1 tsp.)
Flour (1 cup)
Garlic (3 cloves)
Cornmeal (¼ cup)
Unsalted butter (6 tbsp.)
Milk (for rinsing capers)
White wine (1 cup)
Thyme (1 tsp.)
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt (1 tbsp. – to taste)
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Set the capers aside in a small bowl of milk to rinse the capers and draw any salt or flavorings that were added to the capers during the bottling process.
- Drain off the milk and set the capers aside.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half vertically.
- Set the chicken aside in a bowl.
- Prepare the brine for the chicken in the bowl with baking soda, thyme, 1 tablespoon of salt, freshly ground black pepper and 2 rough cut garlic cloves.
- Add water to cover the seasoning and chicken breasts.
- Refrigerate for about an hour.
- Prepare the dry ingredients in a separate bowl with flour, cornmeal, a small dash of thyme, ¾ a teaspoon of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Remove the chicken form the brine and pat it dry.
- Place the chicken in plastic wrap and pound thin until approximately ¼ inch thick.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture. a. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat 4 -5 tablespoons of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1 tablespoon of butter until the butter starts to butter.
- Place the chicken in the heats pan and cook for 3 -5 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken form the heat and set aside.
- An oven warmed to 200 degrees works well to keep the chicken warm and not to ruin the crisp on the coating of the chicken.
- Slice a lemon and remove all of the seeds.
- Add the diced onion to the hot pan and cook for 2 minutes before adding 1 clove of minced garlic.
- Add the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of white wine to the pan.
- Using the wine to help glaze the pan.
- Deglaze the pan and then add the chicken stock, capers, lemon slices and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Continue to simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes until it begins to reduce and thicken.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pull the chicken out that was set aside and pour the sauce over the chicken. Enjoy!