How to Prepare
Flour (3 cups)
Sugar (1 ½ cups)
Vanilla extract (1 tsp.)
Baking powder (1 heaping tsp.)
Almond extract (1 tsp.)
Powdered sugar (optional)
Non-salted almonds (2 cups – roasted)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate 1 egg.
- Keep the egg white in a small dish.
- Mix the 4 whole eggs and the separated yolk.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs with sugar.
- Add vanilla and almond extract. Mix.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine the contents of the medium mixing bowl with the flour mixture.
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the almonds and continue mixing.
- Sprinkle some flour on a countertop and empty the mixing bowl onto it.
- Knead the dough in the flour.
- Split the dough in half.
- Roll each half into 2 inch wide and 1 foot long log of dough.
- Keep the rolls consistent to cook evenly.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the rolls side-by-side.
- Leave enough room to expand.
- Add some water to the separated egg white and coat each roll with the mixture using a brush.
- Put in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until the top is browned and crisp.
- When the rolls are still warm but cool enough to touch, place them onto a cutting board.
- Slice each roll diagonally into ¾ inch wide pieces.
- Remove the parchment paper form the baking sheet and place each slice on its side, with on side facing up and one side touching the sheet.
- Put back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- If desired, fill a small strainer with powdered sugar and tap the side with a knife to lightly dust the cookies. Enjoy!