Mascarpone Cheese with Strawberry Puree
How to Prepare
Strawberries (1 lb.)
Eggs (4) (separated)
Lemon juice (½ the lemon)
Lemon zest (½ of the lemon)
Mascarpone cheese (1 lb.)
Sugar (¾ cup)
Water (¼ cup – better if purified)
Nutmeg (just a pinch)
Vanilla extract (½ teaspoon)
Heavy whipping cream (2 – 3 tablespoons)
- Clean the strawberries and remove the tops.
- In 2 small dishes, separate the eggs into 4 whites and 4 yolks.
- In a small pan, heat up the water.
- Add about ¼ cup of the sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, begin whipping the egg whites until they are foamy.
- Add in some lemon juice (about a teaspoon).
- Add ¼ of a teaspoon (half) of the vanilla and a very tiny amount of nutmeg into the egg white mix. Whip.
- When the mixture starts to peak, add in the hot sugar water slowly.
- This will create a nice, creamy meringue.
- Scoop that meringue out of the mixing bowl and into a glass bowl.
- In the emptied mixing bowl, add the 4 egg yolks, the remainder of the nutmeg, the remainder of the vanilla extract and almost all of the sugar.
- Leave about 2 tablespoons for later.
- Cream the mixture together on a lower speed for 5 – 8 minutes (until pale yellow).
- Add in the mascarpone cheese. Stir slowly.
- Add in the heavy cream and stir on a little bit of a higher speed.
- Not a high enough speed to break/ curdle the cheese.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the meringue to the egg and mascarpone mixture.
- Fold the mixtures together, do not stir.
- Repeat until all the meringue is incorporated.
- The mixture should be light and foamy.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator to chill for a little bit.
- In a blender, puree most of the strawberries (save about 4), lemon zest, lemon juice and the remainder of the sugar together for about 2 minutes.
- Thinly slice the 4 leftover strawberries into about 1/8 of an inch slices.
- In a stemless wine glass, fill the glass about 1/3 of the way with the chilled mixture, layer by adding in a few strawberry slices and drizzle in some of the strawberry sauce
- Repeat this process again.
- Top with a few slices of strawberries. Enjoy!
Serves 6 – 8 glasses.