Struffoli - Italian Honey Balls
How to Prepare
Baking powder (2 tsp.)
Flour (4 cups)
Unsalted butter (½ cup – melted)
Lemon (½ – juiced)
Honey (1 – 1 ½ cups – warmed)
Ground almonds and walnuts (½ cup)
Sugar (1 cup)
Golden olive oil (for frying)
Lemon (½ – zested)
Salt (just a pinch)
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the eggs to the flour mixture. Stir.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and butter.
- Mix all of the ingredients together until a dough has formed and all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Roll into a roll (snake-form) and cut into small pieces.
- Roll the small pieces into balls.
- In a deep pot, heat the oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry the dough balls until all of the sides are lightly browned.
- Once the dough is lightly browned, remove it from the oil and set on a wire rack.
- Place the fried dough in a large bowl.
- Drizzle warm honey and the grounds nuts over the dough balls.
- Gently stir to coat all sides with honey.
- Once all the balls are covered with honey and nuts, place on a large platter and form into a wreath shape.
- Coat with sprinkle if desired. Enjoy!