Tortoni - A True Italian Dessert
How to Prepare
Eggs (4 – separated)
Cream of tartar
Heavy cream (2 cups)
Sugar (1 1/3 cups)
Water (¾ cup)
Nutmeg (just a pinch)
Almond extract (2 tsp.)
Vanilla extract (2 tsp.)
Almonds (1 cup – roasted – chopped)
- Toast the almonds in a high-sided pan at 350 degrees for roughly 10 minutes.
- Once the almonds are toasted, take the egg whites and put them in a mixer to whip.
- Add in the cream of tartar to make a meringue.
- Add in a teaspoon of vanilla and a teaspoon of almond extract. Mix.
- In a saucepan, add the ¾ cup of water, and sugar. Stir.
- Heat the water and sugar mixture to create sugar water.
- Add a ladle of sugar water to the meringue. a. Whip until smooth.
- In a pan, gently add the meringue and place it in the freezer.
- For the custard, add the egg yolks and whip them until foamy.
- Add one ladle of the syrup and a teaspoon of the vanilla. Mix.
- Add the custard to a glass dish and place in the freezer.
- Remove the almonds from the oven and let them cool.
- To make whipped cream, add heavy cream, almond extract and nutmeg in the mixer. Whip.
- Add in the syrup slowly, whip it again and place it in the freezer.
- Take the almonds and chop them up in a food processor.
- Take the meringue, whipped cream, custard and some chopped almonds and fold them together until smooth.
- Add baking cups to a cupcake tray and fill the cups until full.
- Take the chopped almonds and cover the tops of the batter in the baking cups.
- Put a cherry on top of each.
- Cover the tray with foil and freeze for at least an hour (preferably overnight). Enjoy!