How to Prepare
Beef (3 lbs.)
Pancetta (½ lb.)
Spinach (1 ½ cups – chopped)
Onion (sweet) (1 – chopped)
Breadcrumbs (1 ½ – 1 ¾ cups)
Garlic (3 ½ – 4 cloves – paste)
Raw almonds (¾ cup – chopped)
Tomato sauce (8 cups)
Romano cheese (1 cup – shredded)
Provolone cheese (1 cup – shredded)
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and add heat.
- Add garlic paste and onions.
- Cook until caramelized.
- Cover the cut of beef with plastic wrap and flatten with a tenderizer.
- Cut any large sections of fat, but leave them in.
- Add the pancetta in with the onions and garlic paste.
- Cook until caramelized and remove from the pot into a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, almonds, spinach and the cheeses.
- Add in the pancetta, a pinch of salt and a few cracks of pepper.
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add ¼ – 1/3 cups of olive oil and continue to mix.
- Place the mixture onto the cut of beef and roll into a large cylinder.
- With a butcher’s string, tie the middle of the roll, then close each end and connect the ties to the center knot.
- Season with salt and cracked pepper.
- Place into the large pot with olive oil on high heat to sear.
- Turn to cook each side for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ – 2 cups of wine and cover.
- After a few minutes, add tomato sauce.
- Turn the heat to the lowest setting, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- With tongs, place the braciola onto a platter.
- Save the sauce in the pot.
- Cut into ½ inch slices and remove the butcher’s string.
- Serve with pasta and sauce from the pot. Enjoy!