How to Prepare
Beef (top-round) (4 lbs.)
Carrots (2 whole)
Celery (2 stalks)
Garlic (1 bulb)
Thyme (1 tsp.)
Rosemary (1 tsp.)
Paprika (½ tsp.)
Cinnamon (½ tsp.)
Nutmeg (1/8 tsp.)
Bay leaves (3)
Salt (1 tbsp.)
Freshly ground black pepper (1 tbsp.)
Balsamic vinegar (1 tbsp.)
Red wine (port) (1 cup)
Flour (2 tbsp.)
Beef broth (1 qt.)
Brown sugar (1 tbsp.)
Olive oil (¼ cup)
- Let the beef sit out for at least an hour before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To prep the beef, use a roasting pan and put ¼ cup of olive oil in the pan and heat it.
- Drizzle some olive oil onto the beef as well.
- Place the beef into the pan and let it brown.
- Once it is seared, remove it and set it aside.
- Prep the vegetables and place them into a bowl.
- Add the seasonings to the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables into the roasting pan and stir.
- Put the beef on top of the vegetables and add the juices from the meat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place it in the oven for at least 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove the beef and put in on a plate to set.
- To prepare the gravy:
- Take the roasting pan of vegetables, turn up the heat and add flour to make rue.
- Add in the cup of port and stir.
- Add the brown sugar, beef broth and let it thicken.
- Using a strainer, strain the vegetables and keep the gravy.
- Cut the beef into thin slices and serve with vegetables and gravy. Enjoy!