Crepes with Gorgonzola, Onions and Pancetta
How to Prepare
Whole milk (2 cups)
Butter (3 tbsp. – melted)
Eggs (3 whole, 1 yolk)
Flour (all-purpose, unbleached, unenriched) (2 cups)
Pancetta (4-5 oz.)
Garlic (2 cloves)
Gorgonzola cheese (8-10 oz.)
Water (1 cup)
Freshly ground black pepper
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Slice up the onion into piece.
- In a pan, add in the onion slices, a few tablespoons of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a pinch of salt, some freshly ground pep- per and 1 cup of water.
- Heat up the pan of onions on medium-high heat and mix.
- Cover the onions with a tightly fitted lid.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the our and milk. Stir.
- Add in a pinch of salt, the eggs, and almost all of the melted butter.
- Stir until runny.
- For the best consistency, stir, let the batter sit for 5 minutes, and stir again. Repeat until the batter has reached the ideal consistency.
- Slice up the cloves of garlic.
- In a frying pan, add the pancetta and a splash of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- When the pancetta is almost done cooking, add in the garlic and stir.
- Once the pancetta is done cooking, drain the oil.
- In a heated up frying pan, brush the bottom with some melted butter to prevent the crepe batter from sticking.
- Spoon about 1 1⁄2 tablespoon of the batter into the frying pan and coat the bottom of the pan with the batter.
- For the best consistency, do not layer the batter thickly.
- The batter will start to dry out and air bubbles will begin to appear. When the bubbles form, it is close to being done and it is time to ip it over to cook the other side.
- Repeat until desired number of crepes are cooked or batter is gone.
- Remove from the heat.
- Clean the scallions and remove the roots.
- Cut the scallions from the bottom up (to halfway up the stalk) at about 1/8 inch thick pieces.
- On a serving plate, lay the crepe down, spread about a tablespoon of the cooked, caramelized onions across the crepe.
- Take 2-3 pinches of the pancetta and add it on top of the onions.
- Break up/ crumble some gorgonzola cheese and sprinkle that on top.
- Tightly roll the crepe.
- Repeat for each crepe.
- Once all the creeps have been formed, garnish them by drizzling the balsamic over the top of them, any leftover pancetta, and the scallion pieces. Enjoy!