Tuscan Style Roasted Butternut Squash
How to Prepare
Parmesan cheese (1 cup – grated)
Garlic (4 cloves)
Walnuts (1 cup – chopped)
Thyme (½ tsp. – dried)
Butternut squash (2 – 3 lbs.)
Butter (4 tbsp.)
Bread (salted rosemary, garlic) (1 – 2 slices)
Rosemary (½ tsp. – dried)
Freshly ground black pepper (½ – 1 tsp.)
Pink Himalayan salt (½ – 1 tsp.)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Leave the middle rack open.
- Peel the butternut squash.
- Cut the top and bottom off of the butternut squash.
- Cut the butternut squash in half.
- De-flesh the squash by scooping the seeds out.
- Cut the squash in cubes (about an inch) and place the cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- Make sure everything is cut the same size.
- Drizzle some olive oil into the bowl with the cubed squash. Stir lightly, but so that every piece is coated.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, fresh ground black pepper and salt.
- Add and mince the garlic.
- Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated and the squash pieces are coated in the herbs.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Save about ¼ of them for the topping later.
- Add the walnuts (¾) to the squash. Stir.
- On a cookie sheet, line it with parchment paper and pour the squash mixture on top.
- Evenly space the pieces out.
- Roast in the oven for roughly 20 minutes.
- Once roasted, take the squash and place it back in the bowl.
- Drizzle in some of the access oils from the parchment paper on top of the roasted squash.
- Bring the oven down to 325 degrees.
- Add in the butter and grated parmesan cheese.
- De-crust the bread.
- Do not discard the crust though!
- Pull the bread apart into small pieces.
- Cut the crust into small pieces as well.
- Add the bread pieces to the bowl of roasted squash. Stir lightly.
- Ensure the butter is completely melted.
- Pour the squash and bread mixture into a serving dish.
- Add the remainder of the walnuts and some more grated parmesan cheese to the top.
- Place the serving dish of squash in the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes. Enjoy!