World's Best Eggplant Parmesan
How to Prepare
Eggplant (2 – 1 1⁄2 lb. each)
Parmesan cheese (3⁄4 cup – grated)
Mozzarella cheese (1 lb. – grated)
Italian breadcrumbs (2 cups)
Panko breadcrumbs (1 cup)
Tomato (pasta) sauce
Whole milk (1⁄2 cup)
Parsley (just a pinch)
Nutmeg (just a pinch)
Pink Himalayan salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Remove the ends of the eggplants
- Lightly slice the sides of the eggplants (just enough to break the skin).
- Slice the eggplants into about 1⁄2 inch thickness.
- On a rack inside of a pan, spread the eggplant slices.
- The eggplant slices can overlap each other.
- Sprinkle some salt over the top.
- Let sit for 25 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix in the breadcrumbs, flavored and panko, a pinch of salt, about 1 teaspoon of pepper, 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and a pinch of nutmeg. Stir together.
- Flip the eggplant slices over and salt the other side.
- Let them set a little longer.
- Some moisture should have already drained.
- In another bowl, add in the eggs, the milk, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Stir.
- Take the eggplant slices and rinse the salt off.
- Take each slice, add it into the egg wash bowl and immediately dip it into the breadcrumbs.
- Firmly press the breadcrumbs on the eggplant slices. a. Repeat for all slice.
- In a cast iron pan, cook the eggplant slices in 350 degrees heated Vito & Joe’s Olive Oil.
- Cook until they are golden brown or tender.
- Be sure to be flipping them over throughout the cooking process.
- Once the slices are done cooking, remove them from the heat and place them on a cooling rack.
- Immediately sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top after re- moving them.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a baking pan, coat the bottom of the pan with some sauce.
- Lay the eggplant slices on top of the sauce.
- Dust the eggplant slices with some parmesan cheese.
- Add mozzarella cheese, some sprinkle of parsley and a very light dusting of nutmeg on top.
- On each slice, add about a tablespoon of sauce on top and place another slice of eggplant on top of the freshly added sauce.
- This begins the layering process.
- Repeat this process until all eggplant slices are used.
- Once all eggplant slices are layered, top each top slice with some sauce.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Enjoy!