How to Prepare
1 lb Potatoes
½ cup Unenhriched and Unbleached Pastry Flour
2 Eggs (1 whole, 1 yolk)
Fresh Ground Pepper
Pinch of Nutmeg
Vito and Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pecorino Romano Cheese
Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Preheat the oven at 350-375 degrees.
- Prep the potatoes by poking 3-4 sets of holes on both sides of each potato with a fork then cover and rub in the olive oil into each potato.
- Place potatoes on middle rack in oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Once potatoes are done, peel the potatoes and cut each into fourths.
- Place 1-2 small pieces of the potato into the ricer at a time and slowly squeeze so it is light and airy – repeat process for all potatoes pieces.
- Make a well with the riced potatoes and place 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk into the middle of the well and add 1 tsp of olive oil, pinch of salt, pepper and grated nutmeg.
- Mix the ingredients in the middle of the well then incorporate the potato into the mix. (Do not push down on the fork, keep it light)
- Create another well and for the ½ cup of pastry flour into the middle.
- Create a dough that is binding and sticky by using a fork to incorporate the flour into the egg and potato mixture until entire mixture is dusted with flour.
- Use a baker scraper to chop the mixture.
- Use your hands to make sure mixture will bind and knead lightly and form into a loaf shape.
- Cut the loaf into even small slices.
- Sprinkle flour onto your countertop then begin rolling the small pieces into ½ inch diameter then cut into small pieces.
- Use a gnocchi board or a fork to add the traditional groove and fold to each small piece.
- Repeat this process for to create the rest of your gnocchi pieces.
- Place a large pot to boil water and large saucepan to cook the gnocchi on stovetop and also have a large side plate with and a drizzle of olive oil on bottom to avoid sticking and straining spoon ready next to your stove.
- Once water is boiling, add a few gnocchi pieces at a time into the water and once they rise to the top of pot they are ready to be placed on your side plate.
- After your gnocchi pieces are boiled, add them to your saucepan on medium heat with olive oil till each piece are slightly brown.
- After gnocchi pieces are all cooked, place them all into a oven safe pot of your choice.
- Grate cheeses into the pot of gnocchi, mix gently and grate more cheese to add to top and spread evenly across the top.
- Place your oven on 375 degrees and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Turn broiler on for 2-3 minutes and watch carefully to create a caramelized brown top.
- Let cool and enjoy!