Homemade Fried Ravioli
How to Prepare
Olive oil (1/3 cup)
Salt (1 tsp.)
Flour (unbleached, unenriched, organic) (4 cups)
Ricotta cheese (2 lbs.)
Mozzarella (1 lb.)
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil (1/3 cup)
Milk (2 cups)
- Place four on a counter top.
- Sprinkle salt on top.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl.
- Using your finger, make a well in the center of the our and pour in the eggs.
- Marry the eggs and our using a fork.
- Add olive oil and continue to mix.
- With a baker’s knife, work the rest of the flour in with the egg mixture.
- Knead by hand for 5 -10 minutes building up the elasticity of the dough.
- Add water as necessary.
- Coat with olive oil and rest at room temperature for around 30 minutes.
- With a baker’s knife, cut a small piece of dough and roll flat on a lightly floured counter top.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and cool until ready to prepare the ravioli in a pasta maker.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta and mozzarella cheeses together.
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs and then add them into the cheese.
- Sprinkle in 1 to 2 teaspoons (or however much desired), a pinch or 2 of salt, a few cranks of ground pepper into the mix and the 1/3 cup of olive oil. Mix with a flat, wooden spatula.
- Flour a surface lightly.
- Take a small piece of the dough and roll it out.
- Using a pasta roller/ hand-crank, slide the dough in 2 to 3 more times on each setting.
- Fold over if necessary to slide throw the pasta roller.
- Keep the dough square.
- Make sure not to roll the pasta too thin.
- *For a more accurate description of this process, watch the YouTube video “Fried Homemade Ravioli Cooking Italian with Joe.”
- Lay the pasta on a lightly floured surface.
- Flour a surface again and lay the squared pasta down on it.
- Sprinkle/ sift some flour on top of the pasta and the ravioli cut out maker.
- Spread the flour over the pasta – thinly.
- Lay the dough over one side of the ravioli cut out maker (right down the middle of the sheet / in half the long way)
- Press very lightly to fill in the dimples to make the shape.
- Take about a teaspoon of the cheese filling and place it in the dimple-shaped dough.
- Ensure to not overfill. They will expand in the heat.
- Fold the other edge of the pasta sheet over on top the cheese.
- Gently press the pasta down to seal up the edges.
- Press down until the shape of the ravioli is in place and tear away any access dough.
- Pop out the raviolis onto a rack and let them dry for a few minutes before breading them.
- In a bowl, pour in the milk.
- Mix the 3 eggs for breading up in a small dish and add them to the milk to create an egg wash. Stir. bread crumbs.
- Take a ravioli, dunk it in the egg wash, and place it in a bowl of bread crumbs.
- Pat down on the ravioli to get it to stick to the dough.
- Repeat process until all the raviolis are covered.
- Plate them until ready to fry.
- Heat up some oil to 325 to 340 degrees in a large pot.
- Set the ravioli gently into the heated oil.
- Only cook about 10 at a time to help control the cooking time for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Ladle the ravioli out after cooking and plate them to cool a little.
- Sprinkle the top of the ravioli with some shredded cheese and parsley and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!