Fennel Salad and Oranges
How to Prepare
Fennel (large bulb with leaves)
Lemon (½ – zest and juice)
Rosemary (1 large sprig – fresh)
Almonds (¼ cup – diced)
Olives (½ cup – pitted)
Freshly ground black pepper
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Using a mortar and pestle (or bowl and wooden spoon), prepare the salad dressing.
- Break off 1/3 of the sprigs of rosemary into the mortar.
- Add in about 5 almonds, some fennel leaves (not all of them), a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of pepper.
- Zest half of the lemon and half of the orange and add the zests into the mortar.
- Mush the dry ingredients in the mortar down with the pestle into a paste.
- Should take about 3 minutes.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice (about 2 tablespoons) onto the paste.
- Add in about 2 tablespoons of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Stir.
- Set aside.
- Remove the bottom of the fennel stalk.
- Using a knife, thinly cut the fennel into slices.
- The slices will not slice into 1 complete slice. Pieces will break off. That is okay.
- Once you get to the stalks, remove the leaves.
- You will not be using the fennel stalks.
- In a large salad serving bowl, add in the fennel slices and break them up a little.
- Cut any large and hard pieces up.
- Take 1/3 of the fennel leaves and add them to the salad bowl.
- Cut the olives in half and place them in the salad bowl with the fennel.
- Remove the tops and bottoms of the oranges, peel the oranges, slice them, and add them to the salad bowl.
- Chop up the almonds and add them to the salad bowl.
- Slice up the rosemary and add that to the bowl too.
- Splash about 1 teaspoon of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top.
- Using salad mixing hands, mix the salad ingredients up make sure all ingredients are absorbed in the olive oil.
- Add a pinch of salt and half a teaspoon of salt to the salad. Stir.
- Note: Never salt the salad until you are ready to serve it in order to not withdraw any water.
- Add half of the salad dressing to the salad. Stir.
- Add in the remainder of the dressing and stir again.
- Top with some extra sprigs of fennel. Enjoy!