World's Best Pasta Salad with Tomatoes
How to Prepare
Penne pasta (1 lb.)
Cherry tomatoes (½ lb.)
Lemon (½ – juice)
Basil (4 – 5 leaves)
Garlic (1 clove)
Mozzarella (½ lb.)
Freshly ground black pepper
Anchovies (if desired – adds a sea salt flavor)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat up some water for the pasta.
- Once the water is rapidly boiling, add in the penne pasta. Stir until al dente for 11 minutes.
- If using anchovies, take 2 -3 anchovies, place them in a small bowl and add some milk.
- Stir the anchovies into the milk a little.
- Set aside.
- Take the garlic clove, remove the peel and the ends, and add it into the mortar.
- Cut the lemon in half.
- Take half of the lemon and add the zest to the mortar.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the mortar.
- Tear up a basil leave and add it to the mortar.
- Don’t forget about your pasta! Keep stirring in between steps!
- Take the soaked anchovies and add them into the mortar.
- Ground half of a teaspoon of pepper and just a pinch of salt into the mixture.
- Mix down into a liquid for about a minute.
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of Vito and Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the mortar. Stir.
- Set aside.
- Cut the mozzarella into cubes.
- Take a few basil leaves, roll them up and cut them up with a knife.
- Chop the tomatoes in half.
- Remove the pasta and drain it without rinsing.
- Add a tablespoon or 2 of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil, some salt and pepper on top of the pasta. Stir.
- Let the pasta cool for 10 – 15 minutes by wrapping it and putting it in the refrigerator.
- In a large pot, add the pasta, chopped basil leaves, tomatoes and another small spoon of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Stir.
- Add in the mozzarella. Stir.
- Take the dressing that was set aside, stir it up a little bit and pour it on top of the pasta salad. Stir.
- Pour the pasta salad into a serving dish and top it with some basil leaves. Enjoy!
- Using a mortar and pestle (or bowl and wooden spoon), prepare the salad dressing. Enjoy!