Monte Cristo Reuben
How to Prepare
Flour (3 ¼ cups)
Buttermilk (3 cups)
Baking powder (1 tbsp.)
Nutmeg (1 tsp.)
Sauerkraut (with salt, pepper and garlic)
Aioli (with blue cheese and tomato paste)
Prosciutto (cut into small pieces – grilled)
- Toast 2 slices of ciabatta bread.
- In a pan, heat up prosciutto and sauerkraut separately.
- When warm, place sauerkraut on top of prosciutto in on pile and place slices of asiago cheese on top.
- Cover the pan.
- Combine buttermilk and flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the nutmeg and baking powder.
- Mix the eggs in a separate dish and add to the mixing bowl.
- With a wooden spoon, mix the batter.
- With a spatula, place the prosciutto, sauerkraut and asiago on a piece of toast.
- On the other side, spread aioli mixture with a spoon and place on top.
- In a large pot, heat up the oil.
- Using 2 sets of tongs, dip sandwich in batter and hold in the oil to fry.
- When done frying, place on cooling rack in a pan vertically to let the oil drain.
- When cool, plate the sandwich and cut it in half.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and place preserves on the side. Enjoy!