How to Prepare
Bacalao (2 lbs. – soaked in water for several days)
Breadcrumbs (2 cups – non-seasoned)
Olives (1 ½ cups)
Parsley (1 cup)
Capers (1/3 cup – soaked in milk)
Garlic (3 – 4 cloves)
Raw hazelnuts (¼ cup)
Tomatoes (28 oz. – peeled)
Olive oil (3 – 4 tbsp.)
- Roast the hazelnuts in a pan.
- Drain the Bacalao.
- Add in breadcrumbs and almost all of the chopped parsley.
- Cut the olives in half and add them in with the breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Do not add all of them into the mix.
- Drain the capers and add almost all of them in.
- Chop the roasted hazelnuts and add them into the mixture (all of them).
- Add salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Add in the eggs (3) and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- In a large pan, add in ¼ inch of olive oil.
- Using an ice cream scoop, shape the meatballs and add them into the hot oil.
- Let the meatballs cook for a few minutes.
- Before turning, make sure all sides of the meatball are cooked.
- Keep the oil from the meatballs for the sauce.
- Chop up the garlic and add to the oil.
- Cook until tender.
- Add in the olives, capers and tomatoes.
- Cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce. Enjoy!