How to Prepare
Little neck clams (2 dozen)
Lemon (large) (1)
Breadcrumbs (plain) (1/3 cup)
Yellow onion (1)
Red pepper (1)
Garlic (4 cloves)
Parmesan cheese (1/3 cup)
Pinot Grigio wine (1 cup)
Butter (1 stick)
Parsley (1/3 cup – chopped)
Thyme (1 tsp.)
Salt (to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper (2 tbsp.)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the lemon into wedges.
- Finely chop the yellow onion.
- Peel and rough chop the garlic.
- Dice the red pepper and deseed it.
- De-flesh and dice the tomatoes.
- Rinse and clean the clams.
- In a deep sauce pot with a tight fighting lid, add ¼ cup of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 3 -5 minutes until the onions just become tender.
- Add in the garlic to the onions and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and cook just until it is melted.
- Once the butter is melted, add the pepper, about 4 lemon wedges, ½ of the diced tomatoes and red peppers, thyme, 1 cup of the wine and ¾ of the parsley.
- Leave enough parsley for garnishing at the end.
- Add the clams and cook for 7 – 10 minutes covered until they open.
- While the clams are cooking, in a small dish mix the egg, parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Set aside.
- Once the clams are finished, use tongs and remove them from the pot.
- Set aside on a baking sheet.
- Strain the tomatoes from the butter and wine sauce mixture using a colander and.
- Do not discard the butter and wine sauce. Keep it in a large bowl.
- Add the strained tomatoes to the breadcrumb mixture and a couple spoonsful of the butter sauce to make a nice e breadcrumb paste.
- Remove the lids from the clams and gently loosen the clam from its shell.
- Add a generous scoop of the breadcrumbs mixture to each of the clams.
- Put the clams in the oven at 357 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Followed by 5 minutes on broil.
- Plate the clams when finished with the remaining lemon wedges, fresh parsley and tomatoes. Enjoy!