How to Prepare
Vegetable stock (4 cups)
Onion (large) (1)
Garlic (4 cloves)
Pancetta (4 ½ oz.)
Thyme (½ tsp.)
Cumin (½ tsp.)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Canelli beans (2, 15oz. cans)
Green onions (2 bunches)
Tomato paste (4 tbsp.)
Smoked paprika (1 tsp.)
Hot Italian sausage (1 ¼ lbs.)
Cinnamon (¼ tsp.)
Unsalted butter (4 tbsp.)
Chili powder (2 ½ tbsp.)
80/20 ground beef (1 ¼ lbs.)
Fresh ground black pepper
Oregano (½ tsp.)
Nutmeg (¼ tsp.)
Red pepper flakes (½ tsp. – crushed)
Peppers (3 – red, orange and yellow)
Sweet Italian sausage (1 ¼ lbs.)
Mascarpone cheese (8 oz.)
Heavy cream (4 tbsp.)
Italian bread (1 loaf)
Pink Himalayan sea salt
- Remove all casings from the sausage and set aside.
- Chop the green onions (save tops for serving), peppers, garlic and the onions in ¼ inch pieces.
- Set the garlic aside.
- Heat ¼ cup of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil over high heat.
- Add the chopped vegetables (except the garlic) and sauté for about 12 minutes until the vegetables start to caramelize.
- Add the garlic.
- Turn the heat down so the garlic just simmers with the vegetables.
- Using a second pan, heat ¼ cup of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil over high heat.
- Add all the meat (sausage, ground beef, pancetta) to the second pan.
- Brown the meat constantly stirring to break up the meat.
- Process is approximately 6 minutes.
- While the meat is browning, add the butter to the vegetables to deglaze the pan.
- Scraping the edges to get all the flavor off the sides of the pan.
- Simmer for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat on both pans to low.
- Add the smoked paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, thyme, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano and fresh ground black pepper to the browned meat mixture.
- Simmer the spices in the meat for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the meat.
- After 1 minute, add the tomato paste to the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Using 1 cup of vegetable stock, deglaze the vegetable pan.
- Pay careful attention to ensure you get all the scrapings from the sides while the pan is hot.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable stock to the meat and vegetable pan.
- Also scraping the sides to get all the scrapings and flavor from the edges of the pan.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of vegetable stock to the meat and vegetable pan.
- Add the 1 cup of vegetable stock with the scrapings from the vegetable sauté pan.
- Turn the heat to low as the vegetables, meat, tomato paste and vegetable stock simmer.
- While the chili is simmering, mix the Mascarpone cheese and heavy cream to make a nice thin creamy cheese topping.
- Stir for about 1 minute and a half.
- Slice the Italian bread.
- Top the bread with butter, freshly ground black pepper and Himalayan sea salt.
- Frill for a nice butter toasted slice of bread.
- Serve the chili with a nice scoop of the Mascarpone cheese, the green onions that were set aside from earlier and a slice or 2 of the toasted Italian bread. Enjoy!