Pasta E Fagioli
How to Prepare
Cannellini beans (1 lb. – diced)
Parsley (1/4 cup – chopped – fresh)
Garlic (4 gloves – diced)
Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chicken stock (6 cups)
Ditalini (1 lb.)
Breadcrumbs (½ cup)
Yellow onion (large) (½ – diced)
Pancetta (½ lb.)
Tomatoes (1 cup – pureed – fresh)
Salt (to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Water (6 cups)
- In a large pot, pour the 6 cups of water and 1 pound of cannellini beans to a boil.
- Boil for 5 – 10 minutes at a rapid boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and let the beans simmer for about an hour until they are tender.
- When the beans are tender, remove them from the water
- Set aside, but do not discard the water!
- Add 6 cups of chicken stock to the bean water and turn to a medium- high heat.
- In a separate saucepan, add 1/3 of a cup of Vito & & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil and turn to a medium-high heat.
- Add pancetta and onions to the saucepan and cook for 5 – 8 minutes.
- After 5 – 8 minutes, add the garlic and cook until the pancetta is browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add ½ a cup of white wine to the pancetta, onions and garlic. a. Deglaze the pan using the white wine.
- Add tomato puree and cook down for 1 – 3 minutes.
- Add the beans to the tomato and onion mixture and stir. a. Followed by the cheese and then stir.
- Continue to cook down stirring intermittently.
- Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- In the pot with the chicken stock and bean water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and the pasta.
- Bring to a rapid boil.
- Boil for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Drain the pasta, but do not discard the liquid that pasta was cooked in.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add pasta to the saucepan with the onions, garlic and tomato puree. Stir.
- Add the liquid from the pasta pot to the beans, onion, garlic, pasta and tomato mixture. Stir.
- Add the breadcrumbs. Stir.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 3 – 5 minutes until it just begins to thicken.
- Serve with your favorite garlic bread and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!