Tuscan Style Onion Soup
How to Prepare
1 lb Red Onion
3 cloves of Garlic
3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
1/3 lb Grappa or Wine Green Onions
½ tsp Rosemary
1 cup Fontina Cheese (grated)
Salt (to taste)
1 lb Cipollini Onions
½ tsp Thyme
6 cups Beef Broth
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
½ cup of Olive Oil
1 cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- Turn the oven to a broil at 400 degrees.
- Peel and slice the red onions and the Cipollini onions into ¼ inch chunks.
- Cut the green onions into pieces approximately ½ inch long.
- Also using some of the greens for extra flavor.
- Slice the garlic on an angle.
- Set aside.
- Put 1/3 of a cup of Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a saucepan.
- Put the onions in the saucepan and sauté covered in a pan for 15 – 30 minutes to get a nice golden brown caramelization on the onions.
- Once the onions are caramelized, add the garlic glove slices.
- Continue to sauté and stir the onions and garlic together on low-medium heat while you are preparing your bread.
- While the onions are sautéing, prepare your bread by cutting it into large chunks.
- Set some bread slices aside to serve on the side of your soup.
- Brush all the sides of the bread slices and chunks with Vito & Joe’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper.
- Brush the bread one more time with the oil.
- Grill or toast the bread chunks and slices.
- After your bread is grilled/ toasted, add your butter, thyme, and rosemary to the onions.
- Add a splash of grappa or wine to the onions.
- Let them heat up and brown.
- Add a ½ a teaspoon salt and a ½ a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of black ground pepper to taste.
- Add beef broth to the onions and let them simmer.
- Mix the cheeses together in a bowl.
- Using the grilled chunks bread, put 1 chunk of bread into a bowl and ladle some of the soup over the bread.
- Top each bowl with a good serving of your cheese mix.
- Place the bowls in the broiler for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- Serve with the grilled or toasted slices of Italian bread.