World's Best Apple Pie
How to Prepare
- 4 Honeycrisp apples
- 4 Macintosh apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. Mascarpone cheese
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- Joe’s pie crust
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with rack in the middle of the oven.
- Peel apples and cut around the core and remove cores from all apples. Cut into half-inch pieces and put into a medium bowl.
- Stir in a pinch of salt and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Add zest and juice of 1 lemon to bowl. Mix.
- Add vanilla extract, nutmeg, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix. Let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Dust counter and rolling pin with flour. Split dough in half and roll out one half to fit your pie dish. Transfer to pie dish.
- Roll out other half of dough to fit on top of your pie.
- Crack egg into small bowl. Brush the inside of your pie dough with egg white.
- Add 1 tbsp. cold water to egg and whisk together to create an egg wash. Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp. flour to apple mixture and gently mix.
- Transfer apples into pie dish.
- Top apples with 3 tbsp. of butter, cut into slices. Spread Mascarpone cheese over apples evenly.
- Top apples with other half of pie dough and cut the edges off and fold remaining edge up.
- Cut slices into the pie to release steam. Brush egg wash on top of the pie. Sprinkle 1 tsp. of sugar on top.
- Optional: While pie is cooking, roll out scrap dough into decorations, like leaves. Attach to top of pie with egg wash.
- Put pie in the oven for 30 minutes at 375. Turn temperature down to 325 and cook for 60 more minutes.