World's Best Cornetti Italian Croissant Brioche
How to Prepare
5 cups of Bread Flour (Unenriched and Unbleached)
½ cup of Brown Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla
1 tsp of Salt
2 tbsp of Honey
4 tsp of Active Yeast
1 cup of Whole Milk (warm)
2 Whole Eggs (range free)
1 Lemon (zest)
1 lb Unsalted Butter
2 tbsp Milk
2 tbsp White Sugar
1 tsp Olive Oil
(Whatever you like!)
- Activate the yeast – Using a mixing bowl, combine the warm milk, honey and active yeast and slightly stir, let set for 5-10 minutes.
- Separate ½ cup of flour for dusting and set aside.
- Using the remaining 4½ cups of flour, add brown sugar and salt then stir well.
- Begin cubing the butter, separate 6 tbsp for dough.
- Pour the flour dry mixture onto your hard work surface, then open and create a well.
- Crack 1 egg into the middle of the well and stir well without involving the flour walls.
- Add lemon zest, vanilla and ⅓ of milk and yeast mixture to the egg in the center of the well and mix well.
- Continue to mix and ass a small amount of flour, as the mixture begins to thicken then gradually add more milk/yeast mixture as you continue to stir.
- Once mixture has thickened, add 6 tbsp of butter to middle.
- Mix well and start to incorporate four into mixture.
- Use baker’s scraper to form the dough until you do not see any loose liquid or flour.
- Use your hands to incorporate the dough together and roll it out.
- Use the flour you set aside to dust the hard surface and your dough then knead for 8-10 minutes.
- When the dough is stretchable without breakage is when you know the dough is ready.
- Use a mixing bowl, spread 1 tsp of olive oil on bottom and on top of dough to avoid sticking and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place dough in refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Fold a piece of parchment paper to 8×7 inches, then open it up and place the remaining butter in the middle.
- Use a rolling pin to ‘beat’ the butter.
- Form the butter to fit the measured amount and be wrapped flat.
- Place in refrigerator.
- After 3 hours, take the plastic wrap off the mixing bowl and knock down the dough.
- Place plastic wrap on the hard surface and place on top of it.
- Try to form into a square by spreading lightly.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place back in refrigerator for 3 hours to chill.
- Once dough is chilled, unwrap the dough and dust the hard surface with flour.
- The dough should be 15×7 inches.
- Use rolling pin to manipulate dough.
- Remove wrapped butter from the refrigerator and place on the top half of the dough.
- Fold the dough on top of the butter.
- Take the rolling pin to roll the dough and butter mix to 24 inches long and 8 inches wide.
- Fold the dough into 2/3 and flip dough so fold is towards hard surface.
- Roll the dough again to reach 24 inches long and 8 inches wide.
- Fold the dough in half and repeat the rolling to 24 inches long and 8 inches wide.
- Fold the dough into thirds (like a letter in an envelope).
- Dust the hard surface and roll to 12 inches long.
- Wrap the dough in parchment paper and place on top of baking sheet and place in refrigerator for about 30-40 minutes.
- Dust the hard surface and place dough on counter.
- Cut the dough in half and roll the dough our into two 20 inch long and 8 inch wide sections.
- Use a ruler to cut 4 inch bottomed triangles.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- After cutting all of the dough, you should have 20 cornettis in total.
- Take the heal of the cornetti and peel back then roll.
- Place the cornettis onto baker sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Create the egg wash by using a mixing bowl to combine 2 tbsp of milk and 1 whole egg then stir well.
- Brush the egg wash onto each cornetti.
- Place the cornetti aside for about 2 hours.
- Each cornetti should be bigger than before.
- Brush the egg wash onto each cornetti once more and sprinkle the sugar on top of each.
- Place the cornettis in the oven at 425 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Check on the cornettis every 4-5 minutes.
- You may have to turn them to cook equally.
- After cooking for 6 minutes, turn the heat in the oven down to 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Plate and add filling of choice.